Sysco LABS is the innovation arm of Sysco Corporation (NYSE:SYY), the world’s largest foodservice company. Sysco is the global leader in marketing, selling and distributing food products as well as equipment and supplies to the hospitality industry. Sysco serves over 500,000 customers through its team of over 65,000 associates and operates 300 distribution facilities across the globe.
Sysco LABS is re-imagining the global foodservice industry: our engineering teams based out of Colombo, Sri Lanka, Redwood City, CA and Austin and Houston, TX, will innovate across the entire supply chain – sourcing of food products, merchandising, storage and warehouse operations, order placement and pricing algorithms, delivery of food and supplies to Sysco’s global network – culminating in the in-restaurant dining experience for the end-customer. Operating with the agility and efficiency of a tech–startup and backed by the domain expertise of the industry leader, Sysco LABS is poised to revolutionize one of the biggest industries in the world.
Arguably one of the more interesting areas at Sysco LABS, data and analytics play a critical role in helping our customers make key decisions in terms of their business and is core to the products we build. Innovating for Sysco’s 500,000+ customer locations reliant on actionable insights creates massive scope for the kind of technologies with the potential to disrupt and reimagine the global foodservice industry.
We are currently on the lookout for a Data Engineer who is capable of expanding and optimizing our data architecture to bring the maximum value of the data to the business. The ideal candidate should be a data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
- The design and development of data solutions for one of the world’s largest corporations involved in the marketing and distribution of food products.
- Implementing distributed and highly available data processing applications that scale for enterprise demands.
- Adhering to Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery of solutions.
- Ensuring high code quality by following software engineering best practices.
- Working collaboratively in a cross functional team in an Agile delivery environment.
- Adhering to DevOps principles and be involved in projects throughout their full software lifecycle: from development, QA, and deployment, to post-production support.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent, and 1-2 years of experience in developing enterprise grade data processing applications.
- A strong programming and software engineering background (java is preferred).
- Knowledge on processing large volumes of data.
- Strong knowledge on software engineering concepts (object-oriented concepts, design patterns etc).
- Hands-on experience in working with relational databases and related design and optimization techniques.
- Hands on experience in ETL design and data pipelining.
- Experience in an agile environment and aligning pod/team members on technical vision and path to implementation.
- A strong desire to continue to grow your skill-set.
- Strong communication skills that is influential and convincing.
- Knowledge and experience in open source distributed processing frameworks such as Apache Spark/Storm, NoSql/BigData technologies – OLAP and AWS will be an added advantage.
- An attractive base compensation and benefits package which is comfortably above market rates.
- The opportunity to work with high caliber individuals across the organization.
- Fast career growth, recognition and leadership opportunities within a short period of time.
- A flexible, diverse and entrepreneurial work environment, and a fun work culture that celebrates success regularly.